Saturday, March 30, 2013

Using Pearltree

After learning about Pearltree, I was wondering what I could do with my third graders. I read through some blogs to see what everyone else was doing. I was not disappointed. On Lori’s blog I saw that she was setting up a Pearltree in her first grade class that had different games for them. This, I thought, was an excellent idea. Right now, most of my students are proficient at finding what they need in bookmarks or by typing in the website either in the address bar or in search. There are several though, that this is still difficult for. Having a Pearltree will help those students, as well as speed up the process for others. The games have different levels, so students will be doing things at a level that is beneficial to them. I set up a Pearltree and started adding the math sites my class uses. I then searched and found some other games that I thought would be useful. I will also add some sites that the students use often. Pearltree will be particularly useful when our class is doing projects that incorporate getting information online. I will be able to put websites on the Pearltree and the students will have easy access. In the past, I went on each computer in my class and added sites to the bookmarks. With Pearltree, I can add the sites as pearls and they will be there on any computer that goes to the site. Here is how it looks so far. There are a few questions I have. The most important one at the moment: will several computers be able to have my class Pearltree up at the same time? I am guessing that this won’t be a problem, but one I plan on testing out. I would like to have my Pearltree as the homepage on the computers in my class. I am really excited to try this out for my class. What a great way to organize websites for my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment