Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Differentiation in My Class

I guess I do quite of bit of differentiation in my class right now. A lot of it is made easier with technology. Accelerated Math from Renaissance Place is great for differentiation. All students work on their own objectives from a grade level library. In my third grade I have some in the 2nd grade, most in the third, and one so far in the 4th. The program keeps track for me of who has mastered which objectives and who needs help on certain ones. They work on practice problems, put their answers on a card, and scan the card into the program with a special scanner. I print them tests for objectives they are ready to test on and exercises for those they need more help on. Another program we use is Study Island. Study Island is all done online. It is aligned to the Alaska GLE’s as well as Common Core. Students do the work online and earn blue ribbons for sections they pass. Each student can work at his or her own pace. I also have students in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade level on this program. Math fact leaning is also differentiated. I have a checklist with the students and the facts (x1, x2, x3, etc.). Each person moves on to the next one once they have passed. We do one minute written timings to test their skill. I noticed a few students that seemed to know the facts, but weren’t finishing the timings. I test them orally when this happens and check them off if they know them. To practice, students have the written tests, flashcards, and computer games. The computer games are used when they are done with their work. Some students are not getting to do the computer games. I need to fix this and ensure that all get the chance to practice their math facts through games. Those that aren’t getting to the games, may be the ones it may benefit the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment